“Prepare to meet your God, O Israel.”
· We mainly see four things in Amos Ch 4.
1. The oppressors in Israel are threatened for their oppression of the poor (v. 1-3).
2. The idolaters in Israel, are given up to their own heart’s lusts (v. 4, 5).
3. All the sins of Israel are aggravated from their own habit in them, and their refusal to return and reform, in spite of the various rebukes of Providence which they had been under (v. 6–11).
4. They are invited yet at length to humble themselves before God, since it is impossible for them to make their part good against him (v. 12, 13).
· The prophet awakens them therefore to think of making their peace with God: "Seeing I will do this unto thee, and there is no remedy, prepare to meet your God, O Israel!’’ that is,
(1) They must consider how unable they are to meet him as a fighter. Thus it comes to Israel as a challenge: "Prepare to meet God, who is coming forth to contend with you.”
(2) They must resolve therefore to meet him as a penitent, as a humble suppliant, to meet him as their God. It simply means, ’’We must prepare to meet God in the way of his judgments.
Isa. 26:8 says, “Yes Lord, Walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you…”
Since we cannot flee from God we are concerned to prepare to meet him; and therefore he gives us warning, that we may prepare.
Why should we prepare ourselves to meet him?
· It is because of the greatness and power of God.
· What are the things that we must know about him?
· What kind of a God are we going to meet?
v. 13 describes 6 things about Our God.
(a) He formed the mountains, made the earth, the strongest parts of it, and by the word of his power still upholds it and them.
Whatever are the products of the everlasting mountains, he formed them; whatever salvation is hoped for from hills and mountains, he is the founder of it, Ps. 89:11, 12.
(b) He created the wind. The power of the air is derived from him, and directed by him. Even the winds and the seas obey him.
(c) He declares unto man what is his thought. He makes known his counsel by his servants the prophets to the children of men. He is the one who makes known the thought of his justice against impenitent sinners
He also informs the thought of good he thinks towards those that repent.
He can also make known, for he perfectly knows, the thought that is in man’s heart for he understands it afar off
(d.) He often makes the morning darkness, by thick clouds overspreading the sky immediately after the sun rose bright and glorious.
So when we look for prosperity and joy he can dash our expectations with some unexpected calamity.
(e.) He treads upon the high places of the earth, is not only higher than the highest, but has dominion over all, tramples upon proud men, and upon the idols that were worshipped in the highest places.
(f.) Jehovah the God of hosts is his name, for he has his being of himself, and is the fountain of all being, and all the hosts of heaven and earth are at his command.
· Whether for good or bad, we must meet the Lord.
· No one can avoid God at the end.
· Unbelievers are going to meet the Lord as the Judge.
· Believers are going to meet him as the rewarder.
· Everyone has to stand before God at the end.
· Therefore let us humble ourselves before this great God, prepare to meet him, and give all diligence to make him our God.
· We must warn about the coming judgment to people who reject the Son of the Living God and tell them to prepare to meet their God.
Who do you say I am?
· Jesus asked this question to his disciples.
· They said, Some say John the Baptist; Others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.
· “But what about you?” Jesus asked. Who do you say I am?
· Peter answered: You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
· Some say one thing and others another. Truth is one.
· They are honorable opinions.
· The disciples were trained up to teach others, and therefore it was highly requisite that they should understand the truth.
· Peter’s answer is short, but it is full, and true, and to the purpose; Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
· Here is a confession of the Christian faith, addressed to Christ, and so made an act of devotion.
· Here is a confession of the true God as the living God, in opposition to dumb and dead idols.
· Here is a confession of Jesus Christ, whom God has sent, whom to know is life eternal.
· This is the conclusion of the whole matter.
· Today we see majority of people who do not acknowledge the sovereignty of God and the deity of his Son Jesus Christ.
· 1 John 2:22,23 says like this, “Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist- he denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
· 1 John 4:This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
· We live in a world filled with the spirit of antichrist and false prophets.
· Even in the midst of this, our God is faithful to prepare a minority who acknowledge the Son of the Living God.
· We are blessed to have this great revelation.
· Bible says that God has revealed these things to us as babes.
· This great knowledge about the Son of God is revealed to us by the Father.
· So let us know the Lord Jesus more fully and intimately.
· The more we know him, the more we love him, the more we love him, and the more we serve him.
· It is also our responsibility to make known this knowledge about the holy one to the people around.
· May the Lord help us to know Him as the Son of the Living God throughout our life!
Add your main content here - text, photos, videos, addons, whatever you want!
You Are Welcome!
Recent Blog Entries
Recent Prayer Requests