Interpretation- What does it mean?
· Interpreting a passage is difficult thing. So it is an exercise that requires careful study and prayers.
· The more text we study inductively, the greater our field of interpretation becomes.
· Interpretation is the science of discovering the author’s original meaning as he wrote the Scripture under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Few things to follow in Interpretation
· Apart from the questions we asked in Observation (Who, What, Where, When, How), we must ask the question ‘Why.’
Why? – The purpose of the text/the reader’s need/The writer’s message.
· Record the answer to the questions – Who, What, Where, When, How & Why.
· Study the content of the passage – Understand what the passage or verse talks about.
· Examine the context of the passage.
1. Immediate context – Read a few verses before and after the passage/verse.
2. Larger context – read the entire book
3. Other context – Literary/historical/cultural/geographical – read other sources.
· Compare with other Scripture.
· Consult resource books such as commentaries, dictionaries and lexicons (which is the last step).
· Draw a conclusion.
Assignment # 2
· Answer the following questions (Interpretation questions):
1. Why did Jesus asked His disciples if they were afraid?
2. Why did they forget Jesus’ words?
3. Why were the disciples still alive after the storm?